Have you ever noticed that it is really hard to make a decision sometimes? There might be two really good choices to chose from and you just have no idea what to do? You call a friend and ask for their opinion and then you still try to decide what’s going to be best for you.
1. Define the problem. You typically need to make a decision because you have a problem to solve.
What is the goal you hope to acheive when you reach a solution? Example: Problem: I really need an outfit for this graudation party. Solution: I will find something that looks good on me and is appropriate for the occasion.
2. Think about your other possibilities. You are stuck making a decision because you have multiple choices. Think about all the alternatives to the problem.
3. Evaluate your choices. Ask yourself is this choice in line with what I’m trying to accomplish with my life? If your answer is no, don’t do it. If your answer is yes, write it down until you’ve been able to narrow down your top choices.
4. Choose. Choose the best option that is in line with the problem. Make sure your choice makes you feel comfortable and makes sense after you’ve evaluated all of your choices.
5. Do it. Whatever your choice is, act on it!
There is nothing wrong with taking your time in making decisions. We are a result of the decisions we make so decision making is a huge part of who we are. It’s nothing to take lightly but it is something to take seriously, master, and utilize everyday.
Question: What is a big decision you had to make today?